Decadent Chocolate Sponge Cake
A chocolate lover’s delight, this cake will be gone before you know it.
Approximate nutritional analysis per serving
115 g semi-sweet chocolate
250 ml milk
300 ml cake flour
2 ml salt
12 ml baking powder
2 ml baking soda
4 large egg yolks, beaten
500 ml icing sugar, sifted
7 ml vanilla extract
4 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350◦F (175◦C).
- Grease and flour two 22cm (9-inch) round baking pans.
- In a small sauce pan, heat chocolate and milk over low heat until chocolate melts. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, icing sugar and vanilla with and electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add chocolate to icing sugar mixture.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- In a clean, medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture in thirds.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pans.
- Baker for 45-50 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 5 minutes in pans.
- Invert onto a wire rack and cool.
225 g semi-sweet chocolate
90 ml butter
4 litre icing sugar, sifted
10 ml vanilla extract
175 ml light cream
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter.
- In a medium bowl, mix icing sugar, vanilla and cream with an electric mixer until combined.
- Add to chocolate in double boiler. Cook for 5 minutes. If mixture becomes too stiff, add a little more cream.
- Remove from heat.
- Use to frost cooled chocolate sponge cake.
Trackback from your site.