Zesty Lemon Tarts
These tangy tarts are little pieces of heaven.
Approximate nutritional analysis per tart
Pâte Brisée (285 g)
300 ml all-purpose flour
90 ml unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
30 ml cold vegetable shortening
1 ml salt
45 ml ice water
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, butter, shortening and salt until mixture resembles corn meal.
- Add ice water. Lightly toss mixture to form a dough.
- Turn dough out onto a smooth surface.
- Lightly knead dough for a few seconds to distribute the fat.
- Shape dough into a ball and wrap in wax paper.
- Chill for 1 hour before using.
- Dough may be wrapped in plastic wrap, sealed in a plastic bag and frozen for up to 3 months.
285 g Pâte Brisée (see recipe above)
75 ml corn starch
375 ml sugar
1 ml salt
250 ml orange juice
90 ml lemon juice
5 ml lemon peel, grated
15 ml butter
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
250 ml whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375◦F (190◦C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a circle (0.3 cm thick).
- Using a 5 cm round cookie cutter cut 24 dough circles.
- Line 5 cm aluminium-foil tart containers with dough.
- Place paper muffin cups into tart containers.
- Fill muffin cups with uncooked rice. The rice prevents the tart shells from rising when baked.
- Place tart containers on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven.
- Carefully remove muffin cups and rice.
- Return tart shells to oven. Baker for 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow tart shells to cool.
- In a double boiler, combine corn starch, sugar and salt.
- Stir in orange juice, lemon juice, lemon peel and butter.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes over gently simmering water. Do not stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Gently stir in egg yolks.
- Return double boiler to heat and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Spoon filling into tart shells until three-quarters full.
- Allow filled tarts to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat whipping cream until it holds soft peaks.
- Top tarts with whipped cream and serve.
Trackback from your site.