Cranberry Tea Bread
Serve with your favourite cup of coffee or tea for a perfect afternoon.
Approximate nutritional analysis per serving
500 ml all-purpose flour
10 ml baking powder
1 ml salt
60 ml butter
190 ml sugar
175 ml walnuts, chopped
15 ml lemon peel, grated
1 medium egg
150 ml orange juice
500 ml fresh cranberries
15 ml milk
- Preheat oven to 350◦F (175◦C).
- Lightly grease a 22 x 12 x 7 cm (9 x 5 x 3-inch) loaf pan.
- Cut a piece of wax paper to fit bottom of pan. Grease and place in pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add 175 ml sugar, walnuts and lemon peel. Mix lightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg until light and frothy.
- Whisk orange juice into egg.
- Pour egg mixture over dry ingredients. Stir just until batter starts to form.
- Before batter is thoroughly mixed, stir in cranberries.
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Using a spatula, spread batter evenly in pan.
- Brush top of batter with milk.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 75 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted into center of bread comes out clean. Loaf should be crusty and golden
- Transfer bread to a cooling rack.
- Run a thin-bladed knife around edge of pan to loosen bread.
- Invert onto cooling rack and remove pan.
- Peel off wax paper and turn bread right side up.
- Allow bread to cool.
- Serve, or place in an airtight container.
Trackback from your site.