This easy recipe uses brown bread and apples to create a dessert that is similar to apple pie and will impress your friends and family!
1.5 kg apples
100 g butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1.5 loaves of Sasko Cranberry Plus Brown Bread
80 g butter (softened)
Whipped cream or custard
- Preheat oven to 180◦C.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Melt the 100 g butter in a large pot on medium heat, then add the apple slices, sugar and lemon juice and stir to ensure that all of the apple slices are coated in the butter and sugar.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then uncover and simmer for a further 10 minutes or until the apples have softened and the liquid has reduced. Remove from the heat.
- Cut the crusts off the Sasko Bread and smear each slice with the softened butter.
- Take a 23 cm round cake tin and layer the bread like dominos around the sides and along the bottom of the cake tin, ensuring there are no holes or gaps.
- Spoon in the apples and seal with the remaining slices of bread, folding over the bread sticking out along the sides of the cake tin and then pressing the top down gently to seal.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, then allow to cool for 15 minutes in the cake tin before loosening the sides and turning out onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm with custard or whipped cream.
Trackback from your site.