Stoutilicious Milk Tart
Milk tart with a Vicky Crease twist made with Castle Milk Stout, poached pear slivers and a salted caramel shard.
For the base
125 ml flour
30 ml sugar
15 ml baking powder
30 ml butter
1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 180◦C.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolk and beat well.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix to form a soft dough.
- Press into 5cm muffin pans and prick well.
- Bake until golden brown.
For the filling
125 ml full cream milk
15 ml butter
30 ml corn flour
3 ml vanilla extract
30 ml sugar
1 egg, separated
- Heat the milk and butter in a sauce pan on the stove.
- Place the egg yolk in a ¼ cup measure and fill with gold water, combine with the corn flour and stir till mixed.
- Add to the mixed mixture.
- Simmer until thick.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Beat the egg white to make a meringue with the sugar.
- Fold into the thickened egg mixture.
- Pour into the pastry cases and dust with cinnamon sugar.
For the poached pears
1 vanilla pod
225 g brown sugar
1 can Castle Milk Stout
2 pears cut into slivers
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthwise, scrape out the black seeds and put in a large saucepan with the Castle Milk Stout, sugar and cinnamon. Cut each piece of pod into three long, thin strips and add to the pan, lower in the pear slivers.
- Poach the pears, covered, for 20-30 minutes, making sure they are covered in the wine. The cooking time will very much depend on the ripeness of your pears.
- You can make these up 2 days ahead and chill.
- Remove the pears from the pan, let chill and top each milk tart with a pear sliver, sprinkle with cinnamon and vanilla pod.
For the caramel shards
125 ml castor sugar
- In a sauce pan melt the sugar over low heat until dissolve.
- Swirl onto baking sheet, brake into shards and top each milk tart with a shard.